Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
If we are engaged in the application for the grant of probate only with no other work mentioned below we will charge £500 inclusive of VAT, as a fixed fee. Plus disbursements.
If we are engaged to handle the entire process of obtaining Grant of Probate, we anticipate this will take between 5 and 10 hours work at £200 per hour. Total costs estimated at £1000-£2000 (+VAT).
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no more than 5 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements included in this fee:
- Probate application fee of £155
- £7 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
- £100 Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- £300 Post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs:
If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost 50p each (1 per asset usually).
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
As part of our fee we will:
Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3 - 6 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes up to 3 months and once applied for takes approximately 2 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-3 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 4 weeks.
Larger Estates with more complex assets will be subject to additional costs and a written estimate will be given in all cases.
Estates that are liable to Inheritance Tax
If the estate is liable for inheritance Tax, our fees will range from £4,000.00 to £10,000 including VAT, plus disbursements mentioned above.
Factors that could increase the costs
If an estate is has no liability for inheritance tax, but a Deed of Variation is required the costs could range from £2,800.00 to £4,000 including VAT, plus disbursements (as stated above).