Children Law

We have a team of experienced and skilled lawyers to advise you as to the emotional and stressful issues relating to children that can arise on divorce and separation. We always begin our advice from the starting point that it is always preferable for parents to reach an agreement in relation to their children between themselves. We will advise you as to the options available to you as a parent and will attempt to resolve any contested issues raised in relation to the children, whether they relate to residence (i.e. custody), contact, prohibited steps or other specific issues. We will always advise you that the welfare of the children must remain the paramount consideration, and Court action should generally only be used if absolutely necessary. 

Our lawyers will always strive to deal with children issues in a non-confrontational and conciliatory manner. 

We are also experienced in advising clients as to child maintenance and the involvement of the Child Support Agency. 

Child Care

At HKB Wiltshires, our family lawyers are experienced in cases involving children and Social Services. Jonathan Puxley is accredited as a Member of The Law Society Children Panel, which means that he is able to represent children in child care cases.

We also specialise in representing parents in circumstances where Social Services have taken Child Protection Measures, or in more serious cases issued Court proceedings to have children taken into care. Taking early legal advice can often help parents to avoid Social Services taking further action and may either prevent the Local Authority from applying to Court to remove children or provide parents with the best opportunity of having their children returned to their permanent care.


Our work is charged on an hourly rate, depending on the seniority and experience of the lawyer handling your case. At your first meeting, we will advise you as to the anticipated level of our fees for your case and as to the hourly rate of the fee earner working on your case. This information will be confirmed to you in our client care letter. 

We are happy to deal with Legal Aid cases, and we are franchised by the Legal Services Commission. Accordingly, we may be able to deal with all or part of your case on a Legal Aid basis, subject to your eligibility for public funding.

Public Funding (i.e. Legal Aid) is available in the vast majority of child care cases.

Our Specialists